Friday 12 September 2008

Qik

Earlier in the year I was blown away by Martin Thornkivst from Digital Renaissance showing me the Flickr app for Nokia. The software lets you instantly upload photos taken on your phone to your Flickr account.

Lately I've been playing around with Qik. The software lets you stream live video to the internet. It's quite ingenious really, and takes citizen journalism to a whole new level. With this in mind, I'm not surprised that Reuters have stationed all of their journalists with Nokia N95s.

One of the things which is great about Qik is that at present there don't appear to be too many users of the software. The upshot of this is that there are a lot more viewers than content producers who use the site.

My latest footage is of London band Rogues playing their first gig, at Cross Kings in London. The gig was notable for quite a heavy A&R presence turning up, and with very little promotion the main video has garnered close to 500 views in less than 48 hours.



A shame the sound came out really badly but you can't have it all.



If you are on Qik and want to add me/view my channel it's based over at qik.com/nicklevine

Nokia's announcement of BBC I-Player functionality and its Comes With Music range suggest that Iphone may not reach critical mass for some time yet.


Bookmark and Share

No comments: